Saturday, August 01, 2009

Facebook

Seems like everyone I know is now active on Facebook, and it makes me wonder if I should. But most of the things people do on Facebook don't appeal to me, which is why I haven't thus far. For example, all the time-waster games don't do anything for me: the only place I need time-waster games is in places I don't have Internet.

The main draw of Facebook is getting in touch with people from your past. And I don't have a lot of people in my past I'm really curious about, and where I am curious, it's a mild curiosity: I'd like to know what came of them, but I don't particularly need to get back in touch with them.

Maybe some of them want to get back in touch with me, though? I doubt it. The thing is, most of the people I'm thinking of from my high school days, I couldn't get in touch with because they have the kinds of names that, if you did a Google search, you'd find ten thousand other people with the same name. But my name is a lot more unique. A few years ago, I was all of the top ten hits even without my middle initial included. Even now, if you include my middle initial, it's all me, and even without it, I'm still in the top ten hits. If they wanted to find me, they probably would have by now.

About the only thing left I would do with Facebook is post updates about what's going on in my life, but what would I post... apart from this blog? So that's the one place where I wonder if a move to Facebook would make sense. Maybe I should make a Facebook page and migrate this blog to it. Then I could post the same things I would have posted here, only there. Which might mean I had a bigger potential audience... maybe? Which would be nice. The vast majority of my blog posts earn no response, after all.

But aren't people's "updates" on Facebook usually little blurbs, not these kinds of essays-on-random-topics I use this blog for? I don't really know much about it. Maybe I should look into it.

No comments: