Friday, July 31, 2009

BRAT

I don't know why, but my tummy has been troubled for a few days and it hasn't been getting better. When this happens for too long, there's only one thing that fixes it: the nearest I get to the cleansing fast, which is, a day or more of the BRAT diet. BRAT stands for "bananas rice applesauce toast". And it really works surprisingly well. Though I suspect that a diet free from fats and dairy would probably still work, it doesn't have to be that limited or strict, but why mess with success? Particularly since I like all of those things. The only variation I make is that the toast has peanut butter on it, for some protein.

The doctors usually recommend going onto that "for a few days" but sometimes I find a single day or even a half-day makes a big difference. That's probably what I'll do today simply because, despite my being badly burbly, plans have been made for a dinner that is decidedly not BRAT-compatible. That's usually the hardest part of doing it, in fact: that plans are always being made ahead of me.

If I'm not better by tomorrow, I'm going to go back on and stay on, regardless of dinner plans, until I feel better. (That'll mean eschewing whatever food there is at a birthday party I'm attending Saturday evening, so hopefully I'll feel up to at least a few nibbles by then.)

No comments: