Friday, September 11, 2009

Shoulder sprain

When I took a spill on my bike a few weeks ago I got a shoulder sprain that was far more painful than the scrapes that left my knee and elbow bloody. For the first few days I had a hard time sleeping, because I couldn't lie on one side. But over the first three days, it improved dramatically, probably 75% better by the second day and 90% better by the third. I was able to sleep on that side, though not for long and not easily, that soon.

But it's been a week and a half now, and that last bit of the sprain just doesn't seem in a hurry to improve. It's still getting a little better each day but so very, very slowly. I still can't just lie on my left side in bed without having to carefully arrange pillows (enough to make myself wake up), and not being able to stay that long. I still can't reach around to scratch my back easily without hitting the pain point. And I've been having a backache that I don't know is just bad luck or was caused by favoring my shoulder.

I don't know if there's anything I should be doing to make it get over that last bit of pain. The idea of not using that arm might be something I could sustain for a day or two, but two weeks? I suppose anti-inflammatories would help if I weren't prohibited from taking them. The pain seems far too deep-seated for heat and cold applications to still matter. Is there nothing I can do but wait?

No comments: