Friday, May 29, 2009

Yet another chainsaw

Several attempts to get my chainsaw serviced under warranty have dead-ended. The manufacturer is apparently out of business and, needless to say, not honoring their warranties. Their authorized service center (which is two hours away!) won't attempt repair, probably because they wouldn't be reimbursed by the company for their time, though they say it's because they can't get parts. The vendor, TrueValueSuperStore, simply fails to answer my emails asking them to make good on the sale with an exchange or credit, even though they're still selling the same model. And Amazon, through whom the purchase went, declines to get involved.

I'm at a loss for what else I can do, if anything, to prosecute my warranty rights. I'm afraid there isn't anything, because if a company goes out of business that kind of ends my claim on their obligations and promises, legally speaking. So I suppose in the end I'm just out of luck.

Since the cutting season is slipping away and I have cutting I want to do, I've gone ahead with ordering another chainsaw. The new one is a different model from a different manufacturer, but it's the same horsepower, size, and about the same feature set. Though it doesn't mention whether the chain tightening is toolless or not. If it's not, I'm going to be disappointed about that. But while having to use a screwdriver or allen key for that is a pain, having a chainsaw that's reliable is more important.

No comments: