Saturday, May 16, 2009

Star Trek

I know a lot of diehard Trek fans are being negative about this film, but having just seen it, even being charitable about how tastes vary I can't figure out how they can be like that other than just being sourpusses, and even at that, sourpusses made of pretty stern stuff.

While I wouldn't say it's the best movie ever or that it was a perfect film in every respect, it was absolutely a solid film, loads of fun, good acting, great effects, and that kind of tense, engaging plotting that I've come to expect from J.J. Abrams. It had everything you want in a sci-fi action movie. I have no doubt I will want to see it again when it's out on Blu-ray (and why haven't we reached the point where, once the movie's done, in the end credits there's a code on the screen you can key into your cell phone to put it right onto preorder on Amazon?).

I'm sure there are some petty quibbles about continuity (though really, having seen the film, I can say they are definitively groundless inasmuch as they are implicitly addressed) but at their worst they are no reason to object to the film. This isn't a remake of "Where No Man Has Gone Before", it's a new story that is simultaneously a great ride on its own, and a respectful and friendly reminder of what's come before.

Really, go see it.

No comments: