Wednesday, March 11, 2009

One of the deepest mysteries

How did cookies ever get invented?

I mean, I can certainly understand the invention of cookie dough. Bunch of good things that get a lot better put together in a particular combination. A perfect example of synergy as it applies to food.

But once you reach the cookie dough stage, my reaction is to say "yum" and be done with it. If people hadn't shown me that putting it into the oven can convert it from one yummy treat into a whole other yummy treat, I might never have thought of it. I'd be perfectly happy just eating it with a spoon.

It makes me wonder what other culinary discoveries there are as yet undiscovered. Maybe we should be broiling lasagna, or steaming peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches, or putting french fries into the blender.

Sure, those seem unlikely, but after eating raw cookie dough, the idea that baking it is a good idea seems just as unlikely!

1 comment:

drscorpio said...

Well, it does keep a lot better baked. Dough with egg, sugar and fat in it would tend to go rancid a lot faster than cookies do.

I realize I haven't addressed the issue of how would it lay around long enough to go bad. :)