Wednesday, April 12, 2006

This is all so heavy, how about something trivial?

The last few posts have been pretty heavy and serious stuff. I've got a lot of philosophizing in my mind that hasn't had many outlets for many years; looking over the notes I jotted in my Palm about other possible blog topics, the weather won't be changing for a while, either.

So in an attempt to space that out, I'll natter on about something trivial: trivia.

Twice a month there's trivia at local establishments, alternating two locations. I've been to four of them, and our team has done a little better each time. The competition is stiff and a lot can turn on the random choice of topics, but there's still a lot of room for skill. I've done a pretty good accounting of myself, though there's no question that one particular person is carrying our team.

Last time, we were lagging pretty early, falling to fifth place by the third round and staying there the whole rest of the game. A team that hadn't won recently (if at all) was in first coming into the last round, and when the topic, Geography, was announced, they squealed in joy for one of their best topics. The last round is double jeopardy; while other rounds are +1 for a right answer, 0 for a wrong answer, in the final round it's +2 and -1 respectively. We swept it, but I thought that most of the teams would. But they didn't. From fifth place, we jumped to first place and won for the first time.

Our team name, by the way, is the Browncoats. "I'm thinkin' we'll rise again." (Incidentally, just for fun, I have been writing a quote on the bottom of every round's answer sheet; one week, all from Serenity, another from Firefly. I don't think she reads them, though.)

Tonight is trivia again. (Quotes will be from Wallace and Gromit.) Wish us luck! "Time for some thrillin' heroics." "I know, Gromit, we'll go somewhere where there's cheeeeeeese!"

1 comment:

Hawthorn Thistleberry said...

We took third place. Started pretty strong; we were tied for first from the second round and stayed there until the sixth round, which we tanked, dropping to third, where we finished. Unlike previous weeks, I think all the team members contributed about equally this time, due no doubt to the luck of the chosen categories.