Thursday, November 19, 2009

T1 on Monday?

Fairpoint has scheduled this coming Monday for the installation of our T1 line. Now, I don't believe for a minute that on Monday evening we'll be surfing at T1 speeds. They can't be prepared to go that far: they haven't even talked to us about what we need to do, and I still don't know at this point if I'm going to have a domain name. It's inevitable that if they do show up on Monday, and if the line really is ready, there will be some part missing, something we or they needed to do that didn't get done because they didn't think of mentioning it. But it's a step.

I'm still hazy on how the router setup is going to look. I have a Cisco router with a CSU/DSU in it per their specifications, but I don't know where it's going to be, and how the wiring from there is supposed to happen. The fact that I already have a Linksys WiFi router in my network means this could be pretty complex, possibly with two subnets, one masking the other, just so I can still keep my wireless (and so I won't have to rerun all my wiring to terminate at wherever the Cisco router will end up instead of where the Linksys router is). And that's another thing I won't have prepared; since I don't know what will need to be run to where, I can't very well have cables ready to do it. So even if by some miracle we have T1-juice at one point in the basement, we won't have T1-juice to the whole house until I can adapt our internal wiring to whatever it ends up being.

And I have no idea what other transitions will need to be done. I haven't even set up our new email accounts on POBox because our annual renewal is next month and I figured billing will be easier if I just cut over then, assuming Wildblue's still available to us until then. What about my DynDNS setup? What about moving our nominal website (and where will I move it anyway)?

More likely they won't show up or if they do it'll just be to note what didn't get prepared in time.

Still, it's a good sign that we're getting to this inevitably-roadblock-infested first step now. It just means we can get to the final step sooner.

1 comment:

Hawthorn Thistleberry said...

Minutes after I finished this post, Fairpoint called pushing us back to mid-January. Hah.