Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Staying home again

I went back to work yesterday and was mostly all right, except a stretch in late morning when my head was swimming and I desperately felt like I needed to lie down. It was hard to focus both in the literal sense (my vision was swimmy) and figurative sense (I couldn't really bring myself to work on anything). This passed after a couple of hours, but I felt sure a nap would have done wonders. (Maybe I should just not have done my fifteen minutes on the exercise bike, in fact.)

Stay home if possible when you are sick. Visit www.cdc.gov/h1n1 for more information.Since I am plentifully supplied with sick leave since I almost never get sick, and there's nothing particular going on at work that can't miss a day, I decided to err on the side of a quick recovery and stay home again today. So far, I haven't had that sense of wooziness today, so I probably would have been fine to go to work, and that means I'll probably be fine tomorrow. (And I haven't had a fever since last Wednesday so I'm not contagious, the CDC assures me.)

A coworker mentioned that she'd heard a lot of people with this year's flu (still don't know if it's H1N1 or just a seasonal flu) felt better after a couple of days and then backslid. I didn't ask if it was the same kind of symptoms (just a wave of tiredness, nothing else), but given how anecdotal her story was, I don't know what it would have told me. I also heard a lingering cough is common, but I always have lingering coughs after any cold or flu, so that probably won't make a difference to me. Honey tea and cough drops in plenty will get me through.

No comments: