Tuesday, August 22, 2006

That new blog smell

Clearly the new blog smell has faded. It's not that I don't have anything to write about. I have a long list of topics I'd like to write about and I add to it fairly often. It's just that the calculation of comparing the time it'd take to write something, how much else I have to do with the time I have, and what writing something would be worth to me, has shifted. I've been busier; and it's felt less worth it, perhaps because of the paucity of response.

More than that; it's just that some of the more interesting things I wanted to write about, wanted to be part of a conversation, not just a one-sided expostulation. For that fraction-of-a-percent of blog writers who are widely read, a blog is perfectly well a medium for that. But I think there's maybe four or five people who check my blog at all, and there's not likely to be a conversation from that.

I found myself writing a lot of rants. That's an easy sort of fun, and it gets an easy response (relatively speaking), but it's too easy, and not much to it. It's like blog fast food.

I feel a compulsion to write that I'm going to start it back up, and to ask how to get more people interested, and then I wonder if that's just a knee-jerk reaction without any reason behind it. Maybe I'll write, maybe not.

But I do wonder if there's a way to get more people to look. I'm sure 99% of people wouldn't be interested, sure. But most of the few who could be, will never see this. And any way of trying to get them to is just crass and ineffectual, increasingly impactless as information exposure expands exponentially. So I doubt there's really a way.

(That next-to-last sentence just came out like that on its own, I didn't even realize until I reread it.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet more people read than comment.

litlfrog said...

Grr . . . this ate my earlier comment somehow. It's difficult to predict which blogs will bring high traffic volume. Good writing, readable design, and items of interest beyond the writer are generally necessary, and you've got that in spades. There's no easy way I'm aware of to spread the word about particularly interesting blogs; everything that I read is written be a friend or found through a link from someone I know. Perhaps live bookmark, shared favorites-style applets make this easier. Being linked to by a larger blog, even once, makes a big difference. Livejournal makes blogsurfing easier through internal links and interests lists of millions of users, but the signal to noise ratio is still pretty bad.