Friday, August 25, 2006

Look out for that reuben!

The local Friendly's Restaurant is decorated with a collection of pictures that always make me chortle when I see them. I don't know if these pictures are used in a lot of places; I haven't seen them in other branches, but they can't be made just for one store, either.

Each picture depicts some location -- a farm, a small town's downtown area, a charming suburban home -- with some bit of Friendly's food looming over it in mega-giant-size. I'm not sure what the effect is they're going for. Friendly's food is huge! Friendly's food is part of your neighborhood. Friendly's food is everywhere!

But the actual effect is: Oh my god, that giant Friendly's food is going to destroy the city and devour us all! Run! Run for your lives!

Particularly menacing is the giant reuben sandwich, on a farm around twilight, lurking out behind the barn, peeking around the corner. It's late autumn or early winter, and the whole place looks spooky. This is the kind of setting where, in a movie, someone is probably about to get jumped by a person holding a sickle. And there is the Giant Menacing Reuben Of Doom, trying to hide behind a perfectly functional, if moody, barn. Is that blood, or just Thousand Island dressing? Quick, run, it's coming for you!

I wish I could find a picture of this picture to post. Maybe I'll sneak my camera in next time I'm going there.

2 comments:

litlfrog said...

Reubens are xtra scary 'cuz they're from New York. Damned librul flatlander New York sammiches, coming up here and hiding behind our good Vermont barns, ready to scare the cows.

Hawthorn Thistleberry said...

The pictures didn't come out too great, but here they are.