Saturday, May 20, 2006

Trouble with inbound port forwarding

My old Linksys WRT54G router, the one whose power supply died, used to do port forwarding so I could get to my HomeSeer system so I could view and change the status of devices in my house. This was slow over my WildBlue connection, but it worked.

Though my settings seem to be identical in the new router that replaced it, it doesn't seem to work. The IP address is correct, and a traceroute from outside shows pings coming back from the WAN address (the router itself answering them) so it's getting to the router. But nothing ever shows up either on port 81 (where the HomeSeer web interface is), nor on my SSH forwarding on port 22 to a different computer (where I do coding for Harshlands).

The settings are simple; there's not much to have wrong in them. The two servers being forwarded to have fixed IPs and connections work from inside. In fact, I can even browse to the same address that's supposed to work from outside, but from inside the network, and it gets to them. Nothing has changed on the servers in question, nothing but the router itself. Here's what its setting page for port forwarding looks like:



There must be some other setting on another page that, if it isn't right, port forwarding won't work properly, but I can't think what it could be. I've gone over every setting on every page over and over without finding anything. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very eager to hear them.

By the way, I'm running the latest firmware (v1.00.9) for this model.

No comments: