Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Do not over-read this post

Cooking directions are full of these helpful statements. "Do not overbake", for instance. Well, duh. Is there anything you are supposed to overbake? If there were, that wouldn't be overbaking. Cooking shows are even worse; you can hardly go an episode of any show, even the good ones, without being told something about how you shouldn't put too much, or not enough, of something into the recipe. That's what "too much" and "not enough" means already; tell us how much to put! Why don't they go the next step and say "When preparing this recipe, be sure not to do anything wrong."

Now, if you tell me how to tell how much is too much, that's another story. But even then, after you define "too much", you don't still need to add, "and too much is too much". It should go without saying.

So should I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh heh - reminds me of the time my grandmother tried to teach me to make bread. "Now you start adding flour and kneading it in." "How much flour do I add?" "Oh, until it's right."

That's all I could get out of her. Now I understand about variability in flours, moisture content, etc., but then I was just a kid and I could not get why she just wouldn't TELL me. How was I supposed to know what was "right"?