Saturday, March 01, 2008

TLA Bands

How many rock and pop bands can you think of whose name either is a TLA, or is commonly abbreviated as one? Note that it's not enough just that it could be abbreviated that way; no one calls the Marshall Tucker Band "MTB", but Bachman-Turner Overdrive is very commonly called "BTO", so they count.

So far I have these:
  • XTC (doesn't actually stand for anything!)
  • REM (stands for something but the band doesn't use that)
  • ELO (Electric Light Orchestra)
  • OMD (Orchestral Manoevres in the Dark)
  • ELP (Emerson, Lake, & Palmer)
  • CCR (Credence Clearwater Revival)
  • BOC (Blue Öyster Cult)
  • BTO (Bachman-Turner Overdrive)
I was also informed of one called TLC, but I don't list it because I've never heard of them myself. There was also mention of a punk band called something like AFI, but we weren't even sure what the right letters are.

Doesn't it seem like there should be a lot more?

(Extra credit: how about FLAs -- four letter acronyms? All I came up with is AC/DC and TMBG.)

No comments: